Revised as of June 2017
Personal Information We May Collect Online
“Personal Information” is information that identifies you as an individual or relates to an identifiable person, such as information you provide via forms, surveys, applications or other online fields, including:
- Mailing address
- Email address
- Telephone number
- Account number
- Social Security number
- Date of birth
- Username and password
- Profile picture
How We May Collect Personal Information
We and our service providers may collect Personal Information in a variety of ways, including:
- Through the Services: We may collect Personal Information through the Services, for example, when you sign up for a newsletter or request information on a Barclaycard product.
- From Other Sources: We may receive your Personal Information from other sources, such as public databases; joint marketing partners; social media platforms; from people with whom you are friends or otherwise connected on social media platforms, as well as from other third parties.
How We May Use Personal Information
We may use Personal Information:
- To respond to your inquiries and fulfill your requests.
- To send administrative information to you, such as, information regarding the Services and changes to our terms, conditions, and policies.
- To allow you to apply for products and services, evaluate your eligibility for such products and services, communicate with you regarding your application and provide you with related customer service.
- To send you targeted marketing communications that we believe may be of interest to you.
- To personalize your experience on the Services by presenting products and offers tailored to you.
- To allow you to participate in sweepstakes, contests and similar promotions and to administer these activities. Some of these activities have additional rules, which could contain additional information about how we use and disclose your Personal Information, so we suggest that you read these rules carefully.
- For our business purposes, such as data analysis, audits, risk control, fraud detection, monitoring and prevention, developing new products, enhancing, improving or modifying our products and services, identifying usage trends, determining the effectiveness of our promotional campaigns and operating and expanding our business activities.
- As we believe to be necessary or appropriate: (a) under applicable law, including laws outside your country of residence; (b) to comply with laws and regulations and to comply with legal process and law enforcement requirements; (c) to respond to requests from public and government authorities, including public and government authorities outside your country of residence; (d) to enforce our terms and conditions; (e) to protect our operations or those of any of our affiliates; (f) to protect our rights, privacy, security, safety or property, and/or that of our affiliates, you or others; and (g) to allow us to pursue available remedies or limit the damages that we may sustain.
How Personal Information May Be Disclosed
Your Personal Information will be shared consistent with our U.S. Consumer Privacy Notice. For example, Personal Information may be shared: (a) under applicable law; (b) to comply with legal process; (c) to respond to requests from public and government authorities; (d) to enforce our terms and conditions; (e) to protect our operations or those of any of our affiliates; (f) to protect our rights, privacy, safety or property, and/or that of our affiliates, you or others; (g) to allow us to pursue available remedies or limit the damages that we may sustain; and (h) in the event of any reorganization, merger, sale, joint venture, assignment, transfer or other disposition of all or any portion of our business, assets or stock (including in connection with any bankruptcy or similar proceedings).
Other users of the Services and the general public
Please note that any information you post or disclose on or through our message boards, chat, profile pages and blogs and other services to which you are able to post information and materials (including our Social Media Pages) will become public information, and may be available to users of the Services and to the general public. We urge you to use discretion when deciding to disclose your Personal Information, or any other information, on the Services.
Other Information We May Collect
“Other Information” is any information that does not reveal your specific identity or does not directly relate to an individual, such as:
- Browser and device information
- App usage data
- Information collected through cookies, pixel tags and other technologies
- Demographic information and other information provided by you
- Aggregated information
How We May Collect Other Information
We and our third-party service providers may collect Other Information in a variety of ways, including:
- Through your browser or device: Certain identifying information is collected by most browsers or automatically through your device. We use this information to ensure that the Services function properly.
- Through your use of the App: When you download and use the App, we and our service providers may track and collect App usage data. Please be aware you will need to agree to additional terms and conditions when downloading the App.
- How we respond to Do Not Track Signals: Barclays does not respond to Do Not Track (DNT) signals transmitted by web browsers or similar mechanisms. Details on your ability to restrict or change the personal information that we may collect about you are listed in the ‘Using Adobe Flash,’ ‘Using Cookies,’ ‘Third Party Advertisers,’ and ‘Advertising Choices’ sections of this statement. For further information, please visit the About Ads and/or the Network Advertising Initiative links below. Many of Barclaycard’s vendors participate in these programs.
- Using pixel tags and other similar technologies: Pixel tags (also known as web beacons and clear GIFs) may be used in connection with some Services to, among other things, track the actions of users of the Services (including email recipients), measure and compile statistics about usage of the Services and response rates.
- IP Address: Your “IP Address” is a number that is automatically assigned to the computer that you are using by your Internet Service Provider (ISP). An IP Address may be identified and logged automatically in our server log files whenever a user accesses the Services, along with the time of the visit and the page(s) that were visited. We use IP Addresses for purposes such as calculating usage levels of the Services, helping diagnose server problems, and administering the Services.
- Physical Location: We may collect the physical location of your device by to provide you with personalized location-based services and content.
- From you: Other information, such as your location or your preferred means of communication, is collected when you voluntarily provide this information.
- By aggregating information: Aggregated Personal Information does not personally identify you or any other user of the Services, (for example, we may aggregate Personal Information to calculate the percentage of our users who have a particular telephone area code).
How We May Use and Disclose Other Information
Please note that we may use and disclose Other Information for any purpose, except where we are required to do otherwise under applicable law. If we are required to treat Other Information as Personal Information under applicable law, then we may use and protect it for all the purposes for which we use and disclose Personal Information.
In some instances, we may combine Other Information with Personal Information (such as combining your name with your geographical location). If we combine any Other Information with Personal Information, we will treat the combined information as Personal Information.
Third Party Services
Please note that we are not responsible for the collection, usage and disclosure policies and practices (including the data security practices) of other organizations, such as Facebook, Apple, Google, Microsoft, RIM or any other app developer, app provider, social media platform provider, operating system provider, wireless service provider or device manufacturer, including any Personal Information you disclose to other organizations through or in connection with the Apps or our Social Media Pages.
Online Behavioral Advertising (OBA) helps us serve you marketing messages that are relevant to you, based on your behavior on the web. If you don’t want to receive targeted advertising, you can opt out of OBA. This would remove your information from collection across Barclaycard, our affiliates, service providers and other companies we work with. Please visit the Network Advertising Initiative (NAI) Opt Out Page below to opt out, and for additional information:
If you choose to opt out of advertisements, you will still see ads, but they will probably be less relevant to you.
If you see one of our advertisements being displayed on a third-party website, an AdChoices (also known as Advertising Option) icon is also displayed on that website. To opt out of the use of non-personal information in interest-based advertising of our products or services on third-party websites, click the AdChoices icon and follow the instructions. If you choose to opt out of interest-based advertising, a cookie will be placed on your browser to indicate your opt out decision
We seek to use reasonable organizational, technical and administrative measures designed to protect Personal Information within our organization. Unfortunately, no data transmission or storage system can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. If you have reason to believe that your interaction with us is no longer secure (for example, if you feel that the security of any account you might have with us has been compromised), please immediately notify us of the problem by contacting us in accordance with the “Contacting Us” section below.
If you no longer want to receive marketing-related emails from us on a going-forward basis, you may opt out by following the instructions contained in such email.
We will try to comply with your request(s) as soon as reasonably practicable. Please also note that if you do opt-out of receiving marketing-related emails from us, we may still send you important administrative messages, and you cannot opt-out from receiving administrative messages.
Making sure your information is accurate
Keeping your account information up-to-date is very important. If you believe your account information is incomplete or not current, please contact us by using the “Contact Us” link below.
Use of Services by MINORS
The Services are not directed to individuals under the age of thirteen (13), and we request that these individuals do not provide Personal Information through the Services.
The Services are controlled and operated by us in the United States, and are not subject to the laws or jurisdiction of any state, country or territory other than that of the United States. Your Personal Information may be stored and processed in any country where we have facilities or in which we engage service providers, and by using the Services you consent to the transfer of information to countries outside of your country of residence.